K&W Tips: 10 Health Benefits of Strawberries
Spring and summer are the perfect seasons for deliciously ripe and juicy fruits! Strawberries are a sweet little fruit that pack a big healthy punch!
- Strawberries contain 134 mg per serving of potassium which can help regulate blood pressure and help lower high blood pressure by acting as a buffer against the negative effects of sodium.
- Folate is a B-vitamin recommended for women who are pregnant or trying to conceive, and strawberries offer 21 mcg per serving.
- Strawberries are an excellent source of vitamin C which boosts the immune system. One serving of strawberries contains 51.5 mg of vitamin C – about half of your daily requirement.
- The antioxidant properties in strawberries may help to prevent cataracts. Our eyes require vitamin C for protection from exposure to free-radicals and harsh UV rays from the sun. The vitamin C in strawberries helps to strengthen the eye’s cornea and retina.
- Strawberries contain powerful heart-healthy boosters. Ellagic acid and flavonoids – or phytochemicals – can provide an antioxidant effect that can benefit heart health. Their healthy properties can counteract the effect of low-density lipoprotein which causes plaque to build up in arteries.
- Maintaining a healthy weight is one of the best defenses against type 2 diabetes and heart-disease. Strawberries are naturally low calorie, fat-free, and low in both sodium and sugar.
- Fiber is a necessity for healthy digestion, and strawberries natural contain about 2g per serving.
- While it’s not a miracle cure for cancer, the vitamin C in strawberries is one of the antioxidants that can help with cancer prevention, since a healthy immune system is the body’s best defense.
- The antioxidants and phytochemicals found in strawberries may also help to reduce inflammation of the joints, which may cause arthritis and can also lead to heart disease.
- The power of vitamin C is also vital to the production of collagen, which helps to improve skin’s elasticity and resilience – resulting in healthier, younger-looking skin.