K&W Tips: 10 Health Benefits of Tomatoes
High fruit and vegetable intake aids in decreasing the risk of heart disease, diabetes, obesity, and cancer; and is also associated with healthy skin and hair, increased energy, and lower weight. Tomatoes are chock-full of beneficial nutrients. See how they could help improve your overall health.
One Medium Tomato (123g)
- 22 calories
- 0g fat
- 5g carbohydrates
- 1g fiber
- 3g sugar
- 1g protein
- Cancer Prevention (Vitamin C)
- Helps combat formation of free radicals known to cause cancer.
- Prostate Cancer Prevention (Lycopene & Beta-Carotene)
- Colorectal Cancer Prevention ( Beta-Carotene & Fiber)
- Lower Blood Pressure (Potassium)
- Vasodilation effects (dilation of blood vessels, which reduces blood pressure).
- Heart Health (Fiber, Potassium, Vitamin C, Choline)
- Lower Blood Sugar (Fiber )
- Skin Health (Vitamin C)
- Collagen, skin support system, is reliant on vitamin C.
- Digestive Help (High Water & Fiber Content)
- Pregnancy Health (Folic Acid)
- Protect against neural tube defects in infants.
- Mental Health (Folic Acid)
Helps depression by preventing an excess of homocysteine from forming, which can prevent blood and other nutrients from reaching the brain and interferes with the production of feel-good hormones.